Thursday, June 5, 2014

Final Reflection

My initial goal of the 20 time project was to be able to play a good amount of chords on the guitar and to be able to look up a wide variety of songs and play them with relative ease. I did learn the most popular chords, which I think are the easiest to play, and I ended up learning how to play 5 songs. I don’t think that I’ve reached my goal yet, but I’m definitely on my way. This is the first time that my brother has actually successfully taught someone to play the guitar. He taught me several chords and how to play them, despite his fear that I would eventually be better than him. He is a lot better than me, so I won’t be outplaying him anytime soon. I feel like I could pass on the knowledge that I learned to someone else if they asked me. The one main roadblock that I ran into is the fact that most guitar songs are written in tab, which is a lot different from the sheet music that I’m used to. I learned how to use it, but it’s not second nature to me like normal sheet music is. This roadblock taught me that it is going to be a lot difficult to learn how to play several songs. Up to this point, I’ve been playing simple chords without much else. Here is the website I've been using for chords. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
The best part about this kind of learning is that the more that I work, the more I see results. It is a lot of fun to work on a song for a while and then be able to hear yourself playing it. I guess that the most difficult part of this kind of learning is finding time to sit down and practice this instrument. I really don’t have to practice the piano and violin. I’m at the point now where I just know how to play them. With my extremely busy life lately, it was difficult to dedicate an hour or two to the guitar. I would consider my project a success. I’m on the right path to learning how to play the guitar. Before I started, I had only messed around with it. I hadn’t really committed to learning a song or a chord. I probably spent about two hours a week practicing the guitar. I think that this project connected with the IB learner profile because I became more of and inquirer. I would hear a song on the radio and want to go home and learn how to play it on the guitar. My brother and I were both communicators throughout the project as he taught me how to play.
            20 Time has helped me in English class because it has helped me learn how to communicate and collaborate better. When my brother was teaching me how to play, I had to communicate and collaborate with him in order to learn what he was trying to teach me. I also learned a little bit about blogging, which I hadn’t really done in the past.

            For future 20 time teachers: try to prepare the students a little bit better for the pitch. You could show them questions that the people there would probably ask and they could prepare the answers ahead of time. I found that during the pitch, people would ask me a question and I would have no idea what to say. I said, “I don’t know,” a lot, and I think that makes me sound bad. Other than that, I think 20 time went pretty smoothly. For future students: make sure to pick something that you know that you’ll like. I had a lot of fun doing this project, which is strange for a school project. Keep at your 20 time, try working on it a couple times a week, and just have fun with it. I’m definitely going to continue with my guitar practice after the 20 time project has ended. It has been a lot of fun, and I want to continue to get better and better! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I think you have done a great job on this project and have made tons of progress!

    ReplyDelete